Monday, September 8, 2014

Near and Dear

We Bembas have a saying; Ukwangala kucila ulupwa. Translation, friendship beats family. I have met so many amazing people on this journey that is my life. All of them my friends once upon a time but now I hold them nearer and dearer than family.
The girl I met in high school who is now like a sister to me. My bestest i call her. We don't talk everyday, don't see each other often, but when we do its like I never left.
The man who became my friend, my uncle and my father. I smile when I think of how he has been there through every phase of my life and still he is there every time I need him.
My person. Few understand this bond. Sometimes even we can't explain it. But from the moment we met on the 29th of January 2007, we are closer than close. Closer than siblings, than spouses, than friends. Theres no love like ours. And here the bemba saying rings true, because now her family is mine and mine hers and there I have learnt about love in family. About happiness and laughter even when the storm is raging outside.
The boy who is now a man who was a friend even before I met him. Hours I spent pouring out my heart and soul to him because he was always there to listen. And when we finally met, it was like we've known each other for years. Not even the cold on that winters day on the beaches of Sunderland was going to dampen our spirits.
My voice of reason, my princess, I believe God himself placed this woman in my life. She has been that much and more. A sister, a friend, a mother, a shrink and a mentor. Not even distance or time can get in the way of that.
His first words to me; "hi, u listen to Lady Antebellum?" We have been inseparable ever since. He inspires me to be better everyday just by watching him grow into the man he's supposed to be. One of those people you dont realise you need until they are there. And now there's no getting rid of each other.
Last but not least (because this is actually going by order of when I met who I met), when he gets married im his best man. And yes I said he and also yes, I just called myself a man but thats us.
Love all of you and more of you.
My friends, my family, my people.

1 comment:

  1. I have been smiling at this Post since I first saw it 4 hours ago

    ReplyDelete